Tuesday, October 07, 2008

What changes?

You wake up in the morning, and you do the same thing you do every day. What changes? You make the arguement that with a clear routine, your life has meaning. What gives your life meaning? Don't get me wrong, this isn't an attack on the general public. This is for me to give my life some purpose.

I realise, very well, the importance of discipline and good habits. But I also see the need for an impulsive outlook on life. Where do these two ideologies meet?

On a different note, I have a story worth sharing.

The want for sushi in Japan grew as time passed. Fishermen had to go out further into sea to catch the fish as demand rose. But an issue arose. The Japanese public wanted extremely fresh fish, and the further the fishermen went out to catch the fish, the less fresh it was. An interesting dilemma. Then one guy had a brilliant idea; why don't we put a large tank of water in the boats so we don't actually "catch" the fish as much as transport them? This was brilliant, but still the Japanese complained. The fish just wasn't the same, they said. So the idea was pushed another step. Why don't we put a shark into the tank? Sure, the shark would eat some of the fish, but the rest of the fish would be as natural and fresh as could be. And it worked, like a charm.

Someone told me that story, and then asked me, "So, what's the shark in your tank?"

I ask you now. What's the shark in your tank?

No comments: